Interns generally receive some form of payment. If you are staying less than 6 months in Holland and you leave at least 50% of this time for an internship, you can be paid tax-free by your traineeship provider or your employer. Unless an internship has been compulsorily included in their school curriculum, students from non-EU countries have not been allowed to do an internship in Holland. All students are now allowed to do an internship as long as it is relevant to their field of study. As long as your salary is only an allowance, it will not be taxable. Expenses include, for example, travel expenses. When another form of payment is made, the traineeship provider must pay taxes and social security contributions. The new rules required a change in the law, which has now been included in the Decree enforcing the Foreigners Act (Employment Act). Previously, she had stated that an internship had to be required to complete her studies in order for him to be admitted. All you have to do is be. If you designate an international internship student from a non-EU country, you must sign a so-called «Nuffic» agreement. This is a guarantee that the purpose of the internship is to gain work experience and not find a job in disguise. Your company, the international non-community student and the University of Groningen will sign this agreement.

The only circumstance in which the University of Groningen will not sign a Nuffic agreement is when a student does a voluntary internship that is not part of a course unit. Since 2016, international students (non-EU/EEA) are allowed to do internships in the Netherlands without the need for a work permit. The internship must be relevant to the Dutch studies followed by the international student and must be in accordance with a clear learning plan. As soon as the student arrives in the Netherlands, they must register with the municipality. During the appointment agreement, they receive a Citizen Service Number (BSN) required for an internship in the Netherlands. It can take up to four weeks for an appointment to be scheduled, so the intern should consider it when planning. If you stay less than four months, no additional documentation is required. For a stay of more than four months, a copy of the student`s birth certificate and lease is required. The employer does not have to apply for a work permit for you. However, the employer must be able to submit an internship contract to the labour inspectorate upon request. Once you have graduated, you can apply for an annual orientation authorization.

This year, you can do an internship and have a paid or voluntary activity. An internship is a great opportunity to gain experience in the area of your interest. An internship tailored to your ambitions and career goals can improve your academic, professional and/or personal development. An internship, supervised by a professional, allows you to discover what it is to work in a business environment or in a university research environment and allows you to apply the skills and knowledge you have acquired during your studies. This means that the internship completes the studies or acts as an important step towards a career that stems from studies. Standard internship agreement for students from non-EU/EEA countries The first question is whether the internship would be part of studying in Holland or studying abroad. You live in Holland on the basis of a residence permit for the purpose of «study». This residence permit remains valid during your internship.